Babysitter • Nanny • Daycare
Looking for families in Vancouver, BC, Canada
7 years of paid experience
Hi! I'm Rachel, a psych grad and childcare professional. I received my BSc in psychology from UVic where I specialized in child development. My research explores the impact of emotional language and attunement on children’s cognitive and social development.
I've worked with children in daycares and family homes in Victoria and Vancouver. I prioritize respect, collaboration, and emotional literacy and enjoy creating calm and safe environments where children feel supported in their play, learning, and growth. My approach is based in child development and Montessori frameworks and I aim to foster curiosity and independence through recognizing children’s agency, capability, and sense of wonder. I plan to complete a master's in counselling and work with youth and adults.
I enjoy the opportunity one-on-one care provides to develop understanding relationships and tailor care and activities to each child. Daily outings and routines involve engaging with nature, Montessori field trips, and plenty of opportunities for schematic play.
I approach childcare with the understanding that:
• Children are capable and seek to discover and connect with the world around them
• All behaviour is communication
• Child-led play reflects children's stage of development and fosters skill acquisition
• Children learn through our behavioural modelling
• Attuned responding to children's physical and emotional needs promotes development and secure attachment
• Offering choices provides children a healthy sense of control and agency
• Validating emotion and providing alternatives are important when setting boundaries
• Kids are smart and cool :)
Outside of my career, I enjoy writing, running, reading and spending time with my parrotlets, Pecan and Pistachio and my cats, Calvin and Kafka.
I'm happy to provide CPR-C/First Aid certification, resume, and references upon request.